Founded in 1960, The Blood Center is the primary supplier of blood, blood components and plasma derivatives to local hospitals throughout South Louisiana and parts of the Mississippi Gulf Coast. We are a non-profit, community service organization guided by a volunteer Board of Trustees, comprised of community leaders and hospital representatives.
Our mission is to provide a quality supply of blood components to meet the needs of the communities served by The Blood Center, and to provide the technical support needed by the blood banking profession to achieve the highest safety and ethical standards.
- The Blood Center supplies over 30 hospitals and numerous outpatient transfusion facilities in Southeast Louisiana and Southern Mississippi. Many of these hospitals, including Children’s Hospital in New Orleans, Tulane University Hospital and St. Tammany Parish Hospital, treat patients from throughout this region. For example, in 2005 Children’s Hospital served nearly 1,000 children from Lafourche Parish.
- To adequately supply our community, The Blood Center tries to keep a 3-day supply of 1200-1400 pints of blood on the shelf – that means we must collect 350 pints a day!
- We have 12 donor centers throughout the Gulf South region with convenient hours and friendly, knowledgeable staff.
- Our highly trained mobile teams are out nearly every day of the year with blood drives at churches, schools, businesses and community groups. We bring The Blood Center to you!
- For those donors that want to go the extra mile, we offer Apheresis (Platelet and Plasma) services at our Hammond, Mandeville, Metairie, Slidell, Thibodaux, Westbank, and UNO locations.
- We are accredited by the AABB and licensed by the Food and Drug Administration, both of which perform regular audits of our facilities.